Note: This trip curve is for reference only. It represents typical operation and may not be identical to other published trip curves
Circuit Breaker Testing (also known as ‘Trip Profiling’) is used to test both the performance of individual switching mechanisms and the timing of the overall tripping system.
What is Circuit Breaker Testing used for?
Circuit Breaker Testing is used to test both the performance of individual switching mechanisms and the timing of the overall tripping system. Circuit Breaker Testing is essential to ensure the safe and reliable performance of this key link in the power asset chain.
- Quick and easy to perform on site
- Circuits can be tested on or off load
- Tests performance of whole tripping cycle
- Tests overall timing of tripping system
- Identifies need for lubrication of maintenance
Circuit breakers perform a vital role in protecting expensive equipment from damage through power surges and faults. Testing the performance of your circuit breakers regularly is therefore an essential and cost-effective strategy.
What does Circuit Breaker Testing consist of?
Circuit Breaker Testing service consists of two tests to assess the condition and performance of the tripping system:
- Breaker Trip Test – Tests the performance of the various elements of the tripping cycle to identify and eliminate potential performance problems.
- Secondary Injection of Over Current Relays – Tests overall protection timing to provide a report on protection performance at specified relay settings.
Electrical Testing Solutions offers complete Relay Testing Services. This includes well defined visual and mechanical inspections as well as electrical tests that ensure optimum service standards. Further, our process expertise also allows us to ensure that end testing service standards delivered by us are as per the parameters followed in our industry sector.
What does Relay Testing include?
Visual and Mechanical Inspection:
- Relays are inspected for physical damages & compliance with specifications
- Inspect cover glass, cover gasket, presence of foreign material, condition of spiral spring, moisture, disc clearance, rust and contacts
- Check mechanically for freedom of movement, tightness of mounting hardware & tap screws and proper travel and alignment
- All settings shall be made in accordance with customers
- Perform following tests on nominal settings
- Pick up parameters on each operating element
- Timing test to be performed at three (3) points on time dial curve
- Pick up target & seal in units
- Special test as required to check operation of restraint, directional as well as other elements per manufacturer’s instruction manual.
Secondary Injection Test on Electronic Trip Units
The purpose of this test is to check the healthiness of the electronic trip unit of a breaker. The instrument will automatically generate the required currents for below types of trip (LSIG). Some or all, of the following tests will be conducted depending on what is supported by the trip unit under test:
1) Long Time
2) Short Time
3) Instantaneous Current
4) Ground Fault
The secondary injection test kit (specific for each breaker manufacturer) will be connected to the special test socket of the trip unit.